LC’s Birth Story, Part II

September 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Earlier in the week, I had wondered aloud to my mother whether I would know what it felt like when I went into labor.  I hadn’t experienced any Braxton-Hicks contractions that I could feel, so even though I had read a lot about going into labor, and countless birth stories online, I still didn’t really know what to expect.

I went to bed on Saturday night feeling completely normal, and the next day was full of plans to take my sister to the airport and run some errands.  Around 1 am, I woke up. I was used to waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, but this time I woke up because I was having contractions! At first they were around 6-10 minutes apart and they weren’t very strong.  I was so excited that I was going into labor on my own!  I texted my other sister on the East Coast who was awake with her 9-day-old baby boy. She texted me back, excited too.  I tried to go back to sleep because I wasn’t in much pain and I had no idea how long I’d be in labor.  My mom had had four relatively quick deliveries, but as with everything, I expected the worst.  If anyone was going to have a 40-hour labor, it would be me.  (Sidenote: WHY do I do this to myself?  Such a bad habit/frame of mind!).

About an hour later, I was awake again.  The contractions were coming harder and faster.  I got up and went to the living room to ride the contractions out. I quickly downloaded a timer app to my phone. 4-5 minutes apart.  I called the hospital to let them know I was in labor, and they very politely told me that I needed to wait until the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart for an hour.  I texted my mom, a nursery/postpartum nurse back home, to let her know things were happening.  She happened to be at work that night and texted me back.  It felt reassuring to let someone else know what was going on and to have them be happy for me. It was a nice reminder that this was a HAPPY event and not an ANXIOUS, WORRISOME event as I tend to turn things into.

At that point, I took a shower and dried my hair, to try to distract myself, and again, because I thought it might be DAYS before I could shower again (because I would surely be in labor for 85 hours), and I had to look good for all those postpartum photo ops, right? Not long after that the pain got much worse. I woke W up to let him know what was going on.  The contractions were coming closer together, but not consistently.  I wanted him to rest up, so even though I had already taken a shower, I thought I’d try laboring in the jetted tub to see if that helped.  I didn’t stay in the tub long, though; once I turned the jets on it became obvious that they had not been used in quite awhile. Yuck.

At this point, I think I got W out of bed.  The contractions were progressing fairly quickly.  He was a saint and patiently massaged my lower back with a tennis ball.  I found that to be really helpful, and that technique was probably the only useful thing I got from going to our hospital’s childbirth prep class.  At about 4:30, I called the hospital to let them know that we’d be on our way soon.  I woke up my sister, who was surprised that I was in labor.  She took over massaging my back while W took Duncan for a walk.  They got the car loaded up, and honestly, I thought I would die having to sit in the car on the 15-20 minute ride to the hospital, but it turned out to be much more comfortable for me than I expected.  I think my sweet girl knew that she had to calm down until we got to the hospital.

We made it to the hospital right around 5 am, just in time for the doors to be open so that we didn’t have to go in through the ER.  My sister and I went straight to the 4th floor to check in while W parked the car.

Next up: the good (and bad) part!

I went to the hospital looking like this...(photo actually taken at 36 weeks)


1 Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Awww, I miss being pregnant. You looked great! I can’t wait to read the rest of the story. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: